If your SCC receives a donation, it is important to note that:
- The Sun West School Division is registered as a Charitable Organization and, as such, can issue tax receipts for eligible donations.
- In order to be eligible for a tax receipt, the donation must be made to the school division; the donor must specify how the donation is to be used – which school, school program, etc.
- Donations received by the school division on behalf of a school and/or program will be held in trust until direction from the school or program is received.
- Schools are not registered as charitable organizations and cannot issue tax receipts directly.
- Principals are responsible for ensuring that the eliciting and processing of tax receipt eligible donations are done in accordance with federal legislation and school division policy and practice.
- The school division reserves the right to refuse any donation if it is not deemed to be in the best interests of the division to accept it.
- Where a donation is not used for the specific purpose for which it was given, the donor will be refunded unless he/she gives permission in writing for the donation to be used for another purpose.
So, in summary….
- Donation is sent to School Division Office (attention: Business Supervisor)
- School accepts donation
- School Division will issue receipt to donator
*Note: SCCs may not seek/elicit donations for curricular events/activities. These are funded through school decentralized budgets.